This is a blog about my random rants and a point of discussion for my clients, collegues and anyone in general who is interested in insurance, savings, investments and real estate.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Recession over?

Breaking news today!

Goldman Sachs beats estimates. 33% jump in revenue.
Singapore out of technical recession.

Sounds good? Well I am a bull. I don't think we will revert to growth in the next 1 year but I think things have stabilised and instead of this rally being overbought I'd like to think of the sell off after the Lehman Brothers as oversold.

p.s. Of course Goldman would post a profit. Two of it's competitors Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers are out of the picture.

Personally I'd be buying technology stocks. Jim Cramer on CNBC spoke about mobile internet being the next big thing. Recently I've upgraded my phone to the Nokia N97. Good deal from Starhub. I paid $38 to get the phone. Let me tell you what I can do with the phone.

1) Make calls and SMS
2) Be connected to the internet
3) Access my email on the move
4) Watch starhub cable on the move
5) Read updated news with the Straits Times and Reuters news widgets
6) Access my stock portfolio with the Bloomberg widget
7) Play solid games like Guitar Hero and Sims 3
8) And MANY MORE! Heck! I even have a compass function to tell me where I am facing!

If this is not a long term cyclical uptrend for the industry I don't know what is. The industry is still in it's early adoption phase. Time to load up on stocks like

1) Qualcomm (Look at HTC processors)
2) Research in Motion (Blackberry)
3) Palm

There are 2 ways to invest
1) Value
2) Growth

Let me tell you a 3rd method. It's called "So cheap it's unbelievable".

Example: Citizen's Republic Bancorp (NYSE:CRBC) Was $0.50 last Thursday. (I told some people to get in last Wednesday. You know who you are) Now it's $0.67. Up 34% in 3 trading days.

No comments: